Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hyper-Speed Dating

      In today's society, who has time for traditional dating methods once you're older? When you're young and in school, you still have the chance to meet people on a regular basis at school or go out to a bar and meet someone, but once you're in the real world, working a real job, with a real life, who has time to go out and actually meet someone face to face? That's why the beauty of internet dating was created. With sites like match.com, EHarmony, and the millions of others out there with their thousands of success stories posted all over their page, it seems like the busy bee's perfect solution to dating!
      If only it were that simple...
      From stalking, to cheaters, to defamation of character, to financial scams, and in extreme cases, physical harm such as rape or even murder, the pros of internet dating rarely outweigh the cons in this situation.
      In November 2009, a young woman invited a man she had met on an internet dating website back to her house, and he ended up hitting her and then proceeded to rape her in front of her three year old son. It's the numerous stories like this that make me wonder what people are thinking putting so much trust into strangers they know nothing about other than what a website that person made tells them. The internet may be knew, but whatever happened to having a little common sense and learning to think through the possible consequences of a situation? Just because you met someone online and have a good conversation doesn't mean you should invite the person to your house. Would you do that if you were to meet someone new at a bar one night?

I didn’t think so.

4 comments:

  1. First off it seems like the end of your post here got cut off. Either that or my laptop is being dumb. Regardless I agree with your position on the dangers of online dating sites. While they are great for honest people looking for love, there is no sure way to know if the person they find is also looking for love. It can be pretty easy for someone to appear to be Prince Charming or the Woman of your Dreams behind a computer. For those reasons along with the potential dangers that come along with it, I for one would not use online dating sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree more. There is no possible way to know who you’re talking with unless your Skyping them. I know several people who met through eHarmony, but they were lucky. The internet is filled with people who aren’t using those sites for finding the perfect someone. We hear so many horror stories about people wanting to meet someone online and when they finally meet it's not the person who they thought it was. I don’t know, I may just be old fashion but I believe that dating via the internet cannot be as intimate and personal as finding someone in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this, I think that Internet dating is completely sketchy and personally I will never partake in. There are so many unknowns about everything on the Internet and seeing as you never know who is on the other end because you cannot see their face, it is a little creepy to me. Although there are success stories out there about finding one's true love, I am not sure that this is the correct way to go about it. I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think people are far too reliant on the Internet for love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So basically I came to the conclusion that I better find my wife in college because after college I definitely cannot rely on eharmony. I totally agree with you on every point you made. Here is a question for you, would you trust someone if you video chatted with them everyday, but never actually met them in person? I do not think I would. It is things like this that make me never want to have kids or meet anyone via the internet.

    ReplyDelete